Thursday, March 25, 2010

My White Sox


I was never a baseball girl. I never was taught the game, what the rules were, what the strategies were, the importance of having a good rotation, and all the fun that comes along with being a fan. Unbeknownst to me before I knew it I was a Sox fan. Not just a fan- but a crazy one. The thrill is addicting and I love my White Sox. It's actually really fun to cheer for the Sox and be one in a million on the northside. ;)

I got to stand feet from a pitcher this past week in a spring training game. His pitches were beyond words. The speed is something that blows your mind away. That the human body can do something so unnatural and at that speed- incredible. It was such a neat weekend for me. To soak up sun, enjoy friends, laugh, and feed the little addiction that I have for my White Sox.

I also realized upon coming home that there are so many parts of me that are more alive than I thought. That there are things I do that are all me and have nothing to do with the past and my father. My love for baseball began through a precious other person and has no connection to my father. I can stand and look at myself and smile. I can smile knowing that I am finally free.

I love this quote: "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game." I lived so much of my life fearing the strike out. I wasn't even wanting to step up to the plate. I didn't want to get hurt. Oh but risking it all now, stepping up and trying to swing- it's so freeing. It's so fun. And the best part- I don't care if I strike out. I'd rather try than miss out on the game.

No comments: