Monday, March 5, 2012

35 Birthday Blessings

I recently met a woman whose talented eye blows my mind. She has a true gift of capturing those moments you want to never forget and even though I don’t know her well (yet) something tells me that she is going to be a part of some big moments in my life. I read her blog a lot and she posted “birthday blessings” on her birthday last month- a practice of taking the time to write out the blessings in your life -as many as your age. In a year that has literally taken my breath away more times than I would like (and I am not really talking the good way) I wanted to start the practice. I can’t think of a better way to start year 35 focusing on what is so wonderful in my life and how grateful I am that God still has me in the palm of his hand.

35) Friends. While it sounds so generic it isn’t. I am truly blessed with the most incredible friends. They are angels in disguise and I am surrounded…literally.
34) Lessons learned this year. Oh goodness have I made some not so great decisions but boy am I learning. Learning to trust in myself, trust my gut emphatically, and go…and never look back.
33) Discovering a family bond in the hardest way possible but knowing that we are in this together and will always have each others backs- no matter how hard life gets.
32) Watching my sister. She captivates me. She takes risks…big ones…and never second guesses. I am so proud of her and her accomplishments and I can’t wait to celebrate her as she walks across the stage in May for her graduate degree.
31) Being introduced to Meggie Smith. She has helped me find a way to be healthy again, to feel normal, and to know that the road to 100% takes a little longer than what I want.
30) Chicago’s food…I know…this one is funny but seriously…living in this incredible city where I can experience any food that my little heart desires.   
29) On the heels of that- Chicago. I would have never thought that nearly 11 years ago I would pack up my little car and drive- only to end up staying here for as long as I have. This city is precious to me and holds so much of who I am and who I have become. Each year I discover new places and new things…I truly am in love.
28) Getting to stand beside a brother who leaves me in awe. He is so creative and smarter than anything in this world. I can’t type out how proud I am of him and how lucky I am to get to be his big sister.
27) My pillar of strength Aaron. Oh I can’t type out anything without tearing up…this man…there just isn’t enough room to encompass him. I shake my head often in disbelief…that we really are holding hands. And I love thinking “some things are just really meant to be.”
26) Hearing “I love you so so much” every time I talk with Ella. I didn’t know I could love a little person so much. I love being her aunt.
25) The Schoof’s. Not only have they produced an incredible son but they love me so incredibly much. They are an example to me that life isn’t perfect but fighting to get to the good parts is worth every minute.
24) Unemployment. Yep that’s right…what a great blessing that was!
23) The Tiara community. What a phenomenal group of women I got to just sit with. They pushed me, they helped me see things, they encouraged me, and they stood beside me. I am forever grateful.
22) Being able to say “home” again and knowing that Denver is just a short flight away.
21) Belief. Believing in Mindi.
20) Robert Arthur McCreless. Losing my father this year was heart breaking…literally. But without him I wouldn’t be me. He was a blessing. I miss the man that raised me terribly and I know he’s watching over me.
19) Bi-monthly manicures. I started this little treat a few years ago and I love it. Me time.
18) LMC for short. It isn’t the fact that it is a church but it’s what is inside those gorgeous walls. A group of folks that just live, knowing we are all far from perfect, but we all do life together. We’re crazy and goofy and messy but there is love and the gospel…and that’s all one needs.
17) Strength.
16) Ann- for three years now she’s been my guide. She’s helped me navigate these crazy waters of a daughter who’s lost without a father. She’s helped me see God working when I didn’t want to even acknowledge His name.

15) My fleece sheets I discovered at Kohl’s this year. I stay snuggled up in bed way too long in the mornings sometimes because of these things.
14) The ability to Skype. Staying connected to family and reconnecting with friends who live too far away. Just seeing a face makes all the difference in the world.

13) Finding out that I have more determination that I thought. Determination to find my place in life…and enjoying the moments it takes to get me there.
12) The yucky stuff. Yes I said yucky…it’s all the things I don’t like. Like taking the trash out, math, and being in spots I hate. But the realization hits that I am where I am supposed to be in that moment…and it’s all a lesson.

11) Learning that second chances are sometimes the greatest things EVER.

10) Laughing until I have tears running down my face and my sides hurt.
9) My mom. Her resilience and strength is inspiring. Watching her figure life out in a whole new way is truly one of the coolest blessings. She is beyond words to me…

8) Grace.
7) Weekend naps and just taking the time to rest and build back up.

6) Prayer. Knowing that when I can’t pray, I’ve got prayers going up all over the place for me.
5) Going through so many job interviews. My goodness have I learned about being myself and selling myself on who I really am. All the while trusting I will find the right fit…even if it takes a few tries.

4) Spending vacation time with the ones that I love. I’ve been so lucky this past year to travel and be with family and friends…a lot.
3) Falling down and learning what it is to get back up.

2) Excitement for what is and what is to come.
1) LOVE. I am overwhelmingly surrounded, enveloped, and engulfed by it every day.

So that’s the list. Some hard ones but they all amount to good. What a year it has been and I am so looking ahead to the year in front…and I am smiling. Thanks Jordan for posting your blessings and helping me start a practice that helps me see what has been showered upon me.

No comments: